Sunday, January 30, 2011

KYLE'S FIRST SCRIPTURES

Last Sunday when I dropped Kyle off at Primary, the Primary President was standing there with a box of papers for some activity that they do. Some of the kids were taking papers, and I heard Kyle ask if he could have a paper, and as I was walking Kenzie up to the row where her class sits, I heard the Primary President ask him if he had his scriptures.  Aparently they are only able to participate in the activity if they bring their scriptures to primary. 

This was the first that I had ever even heard about the kids needing to bring Scriptures.  It has always been my plan to give our kids thrie first set of scriptures at their Baptism when they are eight years old.  And besides, Kyle is just beginning to learn to spell simple words.  While he is doing very well, he is not reading yet, so I honestly had no reason to even think to buy him scriptures right now. 

In all honesty, I don't think that it is a very fair thing for them to require of the kids that are so young.... I totally understand it for the older kids who can read, but not for the little ones. 

However, as I stood there, and watched my sweet little guy hang his head as he walked to his seat, it broke my heart, and I decided that I needed to find some way to get him some scriptures so that he could be a part of things too. 

My origional plan had been to walk to an LDS book store that is just down the street, and see if I could find a cheep little Book Of Mormon or something, however, when I mentioned it to my mom she told me to wait and see if  she or my grandma had something he could use first. 

My grandma just so happened to be headed to a second hand book store, and ended up finding a Book Of Mormon, and a Bible!  She also had a bag that my mom was able to cut down and turn into a little scripture bag for him. 

So yesterday my mom showed up at our house with this for Kyle!
He is very excited to have his own scriptures, It makes him feel so grown up!
There have been several times that I have found him sitting there with one of the books open, and when I would ask him what he was doing, he would say "shhhhh I'm reading!"  It is so cute to watch him.  He is so careful to always make sure that he puts them back in his little scripture bag, and sets it gently on the shelf when he is done with them! 

Today he was so excited to get to participate in making their little scripture chain, and I am just glad that now he's not being left out. 

Thank you Mom & Grandma for helping me make it possable for him! 

1 comment:

  1. So sad that he got left out because he didn't bring scriptures. This year the Primary theme is "I know the Scriptures are true". They are trying to put alot of emphasis on reading & using the scriptures. In our primary we encourage everyone to bring scriptures if they have them, but it is not required. Each of my kids just have a cheap little blue BOM. Even if the kids can't read it is good practice and helps them develop a love for the scriptures.

    So glad that you were able to find a set for Kyle. Looks like he LOVES them!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE COMMENTS!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...