Sunday, September 27, 2009

JUST ANOTHERn FRIDAY NIGHT IN THE LIFE OF THIS MOMMY

I am always so excited when it is time to put the kids to bed each night because this means that I get to have a little while where the only person that I have to worry about is ME! I hope that doesn't sound selfish, but with kids as hyper active as mine are there is not a lot of time to take care of myself.

This past Friday night, when bed time finally rolled around, Kenzie was laying non the floor next to the couch, an d Kyle was sitting on the couch, so I took advantage of that brief moment of peace, and ran into the other room to get a fresh diaper for Kenzie so that I could get her to bed.

I had just grabbed the diaper off of the shelf when I heard a loud thud, and then Mackenzie started to cry. And it wasn't her typical "pay attention to me" cry, it was that that heart breaking cry that all mom's of young children know all to well. The cry that tells you that your baby is inn pain.

So I run back into the Living room, and I see Mackenzie in the same place on the floor, and seems to be having a hard time breathing, and Kyle is now on the floor next to her. When I ask him what happened, he tells me that he jumped off of the couch and landed on her.

I immediately lift Kenzie into my arms, and blow in her face to help her take a big breath, and start breathing regally again. (a little trick I learned working in Day care when we worked with kids who got a little too dramatic, and forgot to breathe) It worked, but then she started throwing up. This scared me because it is a sign that she may have a head injury.

I tried to stay calm, although I didn't do a very good job of it, and called my mom. She rushed over with my sister who just so happened to be over there.

My mom looked at her really closely, and thought that she was probably okay, but said that she would feel better if someone looked at her.

I then suddenly remembered that one of my visiting teachers is a RN, an d just so happens to live on my street!

So I called her, and she comes right over, and examines Kenzie. She told me that Kenzie seamed to be doing just fine, and then told me to wake her up every hour until 1 am, and ;make sure that she recognizes me. After that I would need to wake her up every 3 hours and do the same thing. Then watch her all day Saturday, and watch for any signs of something being different, like her pupils not looking right, or her not remembering who I am. She also told me that she would feel a little better if I talked to a doctor about what happened, and just make sure that they said the same thing. And it just so happens that we have one of those in our ward as well. A sports midi cine doctor, so I am sure he knows a lot about head injuries. So I called him, and as luck would have it, he wasn't home.

So I had Aaron & my brother in law David give her a blessing, an d then I very carefully watched her through the night, and all day yesterday. She is back to her active little self, and seems to be just fine!

1 comment:

  1. You are not selfish! All mommies need a moment (at least) to themselves every once in awhile. I'm glad Mackenzie is okay. :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE COMMENTS!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...