Saturday, April 25, 2009

SPRING CLEANING

A few days ago Aaron went with my brother in law David (my sister Kimber's husband) to go and buy some wood so that David could make our kids bunk beds, and a toy box.

We are so grateful that David has been so willing to help us out with this because our kids beds have been in really sad shape for quite a while now, bu t we just didn't have the money to get them new beds. I just kept stuffing more stuff under their ma tresses so that their beds were where they were suposed to be.

This was Kyle's bed. We bought it when he was about 17 months old. He had just learned to climb out of his crib,, I was pregnant, and dealing with not being able to lift him because I had marjional placenta previa, and Aaron worked nights at that time. So we had to find a way that I could put him to bed without straining at all. We found it at wall mart for about $50.00. It wasn't the most heavy duty bed in the world, but we had no idea at that time that Kyle would be such a big strong boy so soon.
This was the very last time that Mackenzie was in her crib. She was just about to figure out how to climb out of it. And as I mentioned before, in order to keep the bottom of her crib from falling out I had to pile stuff under it. I was NOT comfortable with that!

We got Kyle's bed down to the dumpster in one piece because it wasen't very big. But Kenzie's however had to be demolished first. Kyle had LOTS of fun helping Daddy take Kenzie's bed apart! He called himself a "Super fixer" :)
Do you see that big pile of stuff behind Kyle? That is how we kept Kenzie's bed from bottoning out.


Toward the end of the day when she was getting tired, we gave Kenzie some M&Ms in her highchair to keep her happy. She looked very confused as she kept seeing more and more pieces of her bed come out into the Living room.



Just as I was finishing up cleaning their room, and getting ready to vacuum it, my sister called. The first words out of her mouth were "You haven't taken the kids beds out yet have you?"
It turns out that the transmission on David's work van went out on him yesterday, so he didn't get the chance to finish the beds like he had planned. She said that he has a short work day today though so hopefully we will have them by the end of the weekend.
So for now here is where our kids are sleeping.
Those of you who have kids know how fun it is when a toddler goes from a crib to a bed where they can get up and go as they please. At first I tried laying next to her and hugging her to help her hols still like I used to do with Kyle when I was going through this exact process with him, and I wasn't allowed to pick him up to rock him.
She just kept talking and laughing though, and it was keeping Kyle from going to sleep. And although he had already made the adjustment from a crib long ago, it was still a change and he didn't really like the idea of staying in bed. So Aaron stayed in the bedroom with Kyle, and I took Kenzie out to the Living room where I rocked her to sleep.
When I took Kenzie back in to lay her on her bed, I found Aaron asleep right along side Kyle. It was kinda cute!
A little while later, I headed to bed, but I couldn't go to sleep. I laid there for hours just stairing at the ceiling, and hoping to fall asleep soon. At 2 am Kenzie woke up. I went back in and laid next to her and it took 2 hours, but she finally went back to sleep. When It was 4:04 AM when I fianally crawled back into bed.
Kenzie then woke up at about 6 ready to start her day. Luckily I have a sweet husband who was wiling to get up and take care of her so that I could get some sleep.
The kids beds will be a very small version of a bunk bed. Kenzie's will be right on the floor, and Kyles will be just high enough so that she has enough room to sit up in bed, but she won't be able to jump on it. Kyle will be on the top bed. Both beds will have sides just high enough so that the kids won't be able to roll out of bed, but so that they can still get out of bed when they want.
With Kyle, it will simply be a matter of getting him used to his new bed, but with Kenzie, the process is just beginning. we are going to have to teach her that she has to stay in her bed even though she can get out by herself. It will be a long process! But at least this time I can do it with full use of my body. I will be able to pick her up and rock her to sleep if necessary. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE COMMENTS!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...