Sunday, May 22, 2011

STITCHES

This is the sad story of what happened to my sweet little guy this past Thursday. 



WARNING:  IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE SIGHT OF BLOOD PLEASE DO NOT SCROLL DOWN!!!!!



On Thursday Afternoon Kyle was running around the house barefoot as he often does, and he ended up steppingon a piece of glass.  He ran into the livingroom screaming "Mom I am bleeding!"  At first I wasn't too worried about it because He always gets a little over excited when blood is involved.  However, when he sat down, and I picked up his foot to see what had happened, I quickly realized that he wasn't over reacting this time!  Here is a cleaned up version of what I saw.

Normally blood dosen't really bother me, but this one made me made me cringe! 

I called for my mom who had literally just walked in the door from work, and she told me that we had better get him to urgent care right away. 

Luckily Kimber and David had both just gotten off of work, and had just so happened to arive here to pick up Slade at the exact same time.  So David carried Kyle to his car, and carefully settled him in the back seat while my mom kept his foot elevated, and pressure on it.  Meanwhile I climbed into the other side of the back seat to take over what my mom had been doing with Kyle's foot. 

David then grabbed Kenzie and Slade and put them in his other car to take them home with him while my mom and Kimber climbed into the front of the car that Kyle and I were in the back of. 

We made it to urgent care just minutes before they closed, and I struggled to carry Kyle in a position that made it possable for my mom to apply pressure to his foot.  As soon as we were inside though they gave Kyle a wheel chair, and I tell you what, that made my day! 

The nurses took a look at his foot, and kyle was loving it all!  He thought that it was the coolest thing that he was at urgent care and thet he was getting fixed.  I am truely amazed at how brave he was!  He spent the whole time talking their ears off.  He told them about anything and everything that he could think to say! 

The nurses told us that their director would have to look at it to tell us for sure, but that we would most likely have to go to an ER.  And sure enough when the director saw it, he told us that he would be happy to take care of it for us, but that it was deep enough that there could possibly be cut tendons or nerves, and that he just didn't have enough experience with pediatric feet to know for sure.  So he left the choice up to us, but he recomended that we go to a children's hospital. 

So, the nurses cleaned it up, wrapped it, gave him an ice pack, and helped us get him back into the car, and they didn't even charge me a dine!!!

When we got to the hospital, I carried Kyle around to the Children's ER entrance and my heart sank a little when I saw the line.  It wouldn't have mattered to me so much except for the fact that Kyle had no shoes or socks on so I DID NOT want his feet to touch that floor, and he is REALLY HEAVY! 

It was fianally our turn, and once we got Kyle all checked in we were lucky to find a seat in the waiting room that had roughly 10 chairs in it. 

We hung out there for quite a while.  Kyle spent most of his time watching cartoons, and comparing our matching bracelets which he called "matchy face" :)
After a while we were fianally called back to triage where again Kyle talked the nurse's ear off, and she said  "Geeze, you're sure a happy kid!  Could you just look sick or something?  All the other kids are going to want what you have!" 

From there we were immediately taken back to a private room where Kyle FIANALLY got his cool hospital bed that he had been waiting so patiently for!

Several diferent people came in to look at the cut, and when each one left, he would ask me who was coming next.  In no time at all the doctor came in.  He was probably a few years younger than me, and could have probably  easily gotten a job as a male model. :)   He told me that Kyle would need xrays and deffinately stitches.

So pretty soon the xray guy came in with the coolest portable xray machine that I have ever seen, and I had to step out, but I could here Kyle talking to him too!  The thing I remember most was "Do you know my uncle John?  He has a job for me when I go to his house." 

After the xrays were done we were moved to a comunity play room where Kyle got to play a video game and color a Finding Nemo picture.  All I got to do there was talk to a financial lady who was quite rude to me. 

Kyle was soon moved to another private room where a nurse cleaned his cut.  The soap hur him, but he was very brave!  We then waited just a few minutes until the nurse came back in with a physisans assistant to stitch the foot up. 

Kyle was VERY BRAVE!!!  He only cried when they were putting in the numbing medicine, and when a few stitches had to go deeper than the numbing medicine could go. 

When he cried it broke my heart, and I felt so helpless because ll I could do was hold his hand and rub his hair. 

When it was all done the nurse asked me if I wanted to see, and this is what I saw.
He ended up with 15 stitches..... 1 deep inside his foot holding it all together, and 14 surrounding a chunk of skin that had nearly been cut off. 

Since he was so brave the nurse brought him a popsicle, and a juice box.  He was just as happy as could be. 

Kimber also got some juice because she very nearly passed out. :)

Kyle fianally got to home at about 10 pm with a perscription for an antibiotic, and strict instructions that he is not to walk.  Luckily my grandma has a wheel chair which makes it a lot easier!

I am so proud of my brave boy, and I am just so grateful that he was being watched over that day because it could have so easily been so much worse! 

2 comments:

I LOVE COMMENTS!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...