Let me just start out by saying that we have a really nice land lord. He has been our land lord for about 3 years, and he has always been really good to us. However, in the building where we live, the owner is a different person than the land lord.
We have had a couple of different owners while this land lord has been in charge of this building. The first one wouldn't allow the land lord to pay for anything to be fixed, and now we have this one.
When we met with our new land lords on Saturday, we ended up agreeing on a move in date of December 15th. This would allow us to give our required 30 day notice without having to wait until next year to move.
When we got home from that meeting, I called, and gave our 30 day notice on a message because the landlord didn't answer.
Yesterday he finally called me back, and I did not like what he had to say. He told me that we have to give notice at the first of the month along with another months rent. So I asked hem what would happen if we weren't able to do that, and he told me that the new owner could put an eviction on our credit. He told me that he couldn't say for sure if the owner would do it, but he has seen him do it to people in other buildings. If this is the kind of guy who owns the building we currently live in, I am glad that we are getting out of here! The land lord told me that this is something that he has absolutely no control over, and he doesn't want to see our credit get ruined by this guy.
Then he did something that caugat off guard.
He asked me how much our rent will be at the new house. So I told him the number which happens to be $60.00 LESS than we pay now, and he said
"If I talk to the owner about lowering your rent to that would you consider staying here?"
I fought off the urge to tell him ALL of the reasons why we are moving, and just politely said no and told him ONE reason which was that we wanted to get into a ground floor apartment because it would be much easier with our kids.
I spent a few hours feeling very frustrated, and wondering what to do because we did NOT want to lose the new apartment, but at the same time we couldn't risk our credit either.
The solution came very unexpectedly, and it is actually going to be a very good thing. Weare going to pay the one more month of rent here, while a couple of different family members will help us get into the new place on the chosen date!
This will allow us to move in over a period of about 2 weeks, and give us plenty of time to clean with our stuff out of the way.
Yesterday was a little bit of a roller coaster ride for me, but I am so grateful for a family who made it all better!
Lucky Number Thirteen
5 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment
I LOVE COMMENTS!!!